Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell


Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was the debut novel for Susanna Clark, it is set in an alternative version of 19th century Europe.

 This book was the recipient of a great deal of praise, and awards, such as the Hugo.  It is a rather lengthy book at around 850 pages, and written in a dry British style.

 This book did not work for me, the pace was lethargic, and its characters seemed far to classical and uninteresting.  Somewhat like reading a dull 19th century novel that just happens to be 850 pages long.  It was not so bad that I quit reading it entirely, but I never found myself so captivated that I'd read continuously for hours.

  Clark does succeed in creating a parallel magical word into which the characters sometimes step, but this happens rarely, the vast majority of the time is spent on 19th century trivialities.

  Overall a solid book, but I felt it was a far cry from the legions of praise piled on it.

 8.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment