Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Eye of the World


 Robert Jordan's near endless series "The Wheel of Time" starts here.  Though it is now common knowledge that the later books suffer from an obvious quality drop, the early works were, if nothing else, rather entertaining.

 Yeah the book has a pretty obvious pathing that resembles the Lord of the Rings, the female characters are largely identical to one another while simultaneousness serving as some of the most annoying individuals in fantasy-- but this flaw only becomes a major issue in later books when the females are given more focus.

 I originally read this series in the 90's, but sometime around the 8th or 9th book I quit.  Since then Brandon Sanderson has taken over, following the death of Jordan, and apparently done a rather good job of it.  So I'm slowly rereading the series, since I'd like to see Sanderson's works.  There is a 2-3 book gap between Jordan and Sanderson that I'm not sure entirely sure how I'm going to surmount.

 Anyway, don't read this expecting anything else other than entertainment.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment